The Sultanate of Oman is seeking to diversify its economy away from hydrocarbons. SI were invited by a government agency to conduct a sector innovation programme for Omani Fisheries.
The objectives were to increase sector profitability by OMR 10 million EBIT and to develop a National Strategic Framework for Sustainable Fisheries Management.
Global scouting to landscape processing technologies, value-added products, industry best practices, intellectual property and trends in regional and global markets.
The insights gathered formed the basis of a process to form business canvases and full business plans for the selected opportunities
- Literature review of academic and grey literature
- Patent analysis
- Local scouting including visits to over 40 factories, landing sites and markets
- Global scouting for relevant innovations, including 30 expert interviews
- Three stakeholder workshops were completed with industry, academia and government
- Over 100 innovation opportunities identified, 25 developed to business plan level
- A National Strategic Framework delivered to the Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries, including policy recommendations.
- A wiki-based knowledge portal accessible by seafood sector stakeholders in Oman
- Implementation support for a national traceability system for seafood products.